..... .....Welcome to my blog.....I'm delighted to have you!.....Have a great day and come back often! .....

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Massage in Utah

After my daughter in law, Christy, graduated from Massage Therapy School, she worked for a local Spa. However, feeling that massage therapy is more than just a pampering deal, Christy wanted to focus more on the assets that massage can provide for athletes and the recovery of the body for optimum performance. So along with her husband, Jerriah, she has opened a small shop to focus on helping people.
Christy’s shop is located at Anytime Fitness gym in Lehi Utah. She calls her shop Body Performance Massage, and I love the way the title really says her goal. She has been taking additional classes in Sports Massage and is looking into doing massage at different sporting events around Utah. Christy’s future goal is to open a shop that will accommodate multiple therapists and work with local doctors and trainers.
With my bad back I have always thought massage sounded so nice and my doctor even recommended it, but I am not the type of person to strip down naked in front of someone and let them put their hands all over me. However, after talking to Christy and learning more about it, I found out that it is recommended that a person “disrobes to their comfort level" to get a massage and that they are "draped" during the whole procedure. Meaning; if you feel better wearing shorts and a t-shirt, that is fine. When a person does this, it is a signal to the massage therapist that they are not to massage that area. Also, draping is when a sheet, towel, or blanket is used to cover the body during the procedure. The only parts of the body that are exposed are those being worked on, and private areas are never exposed or massaged for any reason. Additionally, the massage therapist leaves the room to give you privacy when you are changing and doesn't return until you are safe under the sheet or completely dressed.
Feeling a bit more comfortable with the idea, I decided to let Christy give me a massage. During the massage, I never did feel exposed and really appreciated Christy's professionalism during the entire procedure. I only let her work on me for a short time, but it was as relaxing as I had imagined and my back felt so much better afterwards that I look forward to the next opportunity to get a massage.
I did learn that there are many different techniques of massage, and will have to write about that another time; for now I’d like to wish Christy and Jerriah the best of luck with this new and exciting venture in their lives!

1 comments:

templework said...

What an exciting business opportunity!
WOW!!!
I just wish they were within my driving distance!!!