..... .....Welcome to my blog.....I'm delighted to have you!.....Have a great day and come back often! .....

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Child Harness Leash

The other day I was in a public place with the assignment to watch my 5 year old grand daughter and 3 year old grand son. I realized that it is exhausting trying to keep two children safe in a busy place when neither wanted to hold my hand to be kept safe by my side...especially the 3 year old! He's an active "big boy" that wants to explore and be free.
If I released his hand he was soon to race off and then I was at the dilema of how to chase after him and still remain close to the 5 year old so she would be safe.
Thus I started thinking of the advantages of child harness/leash assemblies that give the child some freedom while keeping them safely nearby.
Researching these items I found many people think they are great (those with active and multiple children); while others felt "leashing" a child is horrible and refer to treating the child like "a dog."
Being a dog owner, handler and trainer it dawned on me that I have my dogs on leashes when I travel out of my fenced yard to keep my dog from getting lost, running off, being hit by a car and numerous other safety reasons.
Should a child be treated with LESS safety than my dog???
Reasearching child safety harnesses I found that they range from the simple harness;

to really cute backpack animal ones;

When I saw the backpack animal ones I realized that if I were to get one for my 3 year old grand son that I know my 5 year old grand daughter would want one for herself...which may not be a bad idea. Although the 5 year old is good at staying close; in a crowded public place can one ever be too safe?
I'm curious to hear what others think of having harnesses on children...how do you feel about them?

1 comments:

That Girl said...

I've seen those and often been intrigued by them. Useful, yes. Safe, yes. But ... I don't know if I could actually bring myself to use them. Call it pride.